The place was perfect.
“Birdie,” the 8-year-old pet parakeet, was spending the afternoon searching for a dark, quiet space to lay her egg when she found a mysterious, empty tube lying benignly on the floor.
She crawled inside to settle in for the delivery without a clue of what lay ahead.
Her owner, Milton resident Marie Margarone, unsuspectingly flipped on the power switch to the vacuum, sucking Birdie up the tube and sending her into a violent whirlwind of hair and carpet detritus, said Rob Halpin, a spokesman for MSPCA-Angell’s Animal Medical Center.
Birdie was only trapped in the “shop-vac” for several seconds before Margarone noticed — but it was enough time for the bird to lose much of her blood and suffer a severely broken wing, Halpin said.
A barely conscious Birdie was rushed to the medical center after the Feb. 23 incident, where she received pain medicine and diagnostic tests to determine the scope of her injuries.
Veterinarians discovered she had a broken left wing, and would need about 25 percent of it amputated to survive, Halpin said.